1. Jamie McMurray – Only one driver has ever won a race at Auto Club Speedway from the pole. That driver was Jimmie Johnson.
2. Juan Pablo Montoya – He said in his first NASCAR race at Auto Club Speedway, he qualified well, but he couldn’t get out of the way fast enough. Experience shouldn’t make that much of a problem this time around.
3. Clint Bowyer – Richard Childress Racing is off to a hot start. Bowyer looks like he has the best car in the Childress stable.
4. Kasey Kahne – Fords usually do well at Auto Club Speedway. This will be the first time Kahne will be racing a Ford in Fontana. He won at Auto Club Speedway in 2006 driving a Dodge.
5. Dave Blaney – Really. He qualified fifth. Don’t expect him to be in the top five at the end of the race though.
6. Kevin Harvick – Another good qualifying effort from a rebounding Richard Childress Racing team.
7. Jimmie Johnson – He is a four-time winner at Auto Club Speedway. He won the race in Fontana in October 2009.
8. Sam Hornish Jr. – The driver of the Auto Club-sponsored car is starting in the top 10 at Auto Club Speedway. Coincidence?
9. Kyle Busch – He won the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Auto Club Speedway on Saturday. He had no business being in the lead on the last lap, mind you.
10. Mark Martin – He won at Auto Club Speedway in 1998 driving a Ford for Jack Roush. It’s been 12 years since his first and only Cup win in Fontana.
Photo: Juan Pablo Montoya, driver of the No. 42 Target Chevrolet, and Jamie McMurray, driver of the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet, chat during qualifying for Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 500.(Jeff Gross/Getty Images)