Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Skies clear in Pomona

The rain stopped, the track dried and the NHRA Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona finally came to a conclusion Tuesday.
Jack Beckman, an NHRA Funny Car driver from North Hills, cleared the toughest hurdle of the week on Sunday when he beat reigning Funny Car champ Cruz Pedregon in the first round.
But two days later, Beckman fouled out to Robert Hight in the second round and was eliminated.
"Incredibly disappointing," said Beckman, a driver for Don Schumacher Racing. "I started squeezing the throttle up there. You're focused on the Christmas tree, you want to get a good light and I caught myself doing that. So I went to go back to idle and I double-stepped the throttle. Not only did it red-light, it threw the tune-up on the race car completely off."
Beckman's teammate Ron Capps eliminated Hight in the semifinals and went on to win the Funny Car portion of the races.
"The only bright spot of my day is that Capps walked out of here with the Funny Car win," Beckman said. "And we only have to wait a week to get back and do it again."

No comments:

Post a Comment