Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hornaday has tire issues in Dover

Ron Hornaday Jr. fell victim to a blown tire and finished in 26th place in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Dover International Speedway on Saturday, but maintained his lead in the Truck Series standings.
Hornaday, driver of the No. 33 Chevrolet Silverado for Kevin Harvick Inc., started from the pole and led the first 12 laps of the race. Kyle Busch passed him for the lead, but Hornaday dropped in right behind in second place for a while. The right front tire on Hornaday’s truck blew out on lap 34 and he had to pull off the track for repairs.
“I don’t know, no vibration no nothing,” Hornaday said. “We were just a little snug, but I mean, not too bad. I knew Kyle was fast so I let him go and just run with that brake. It just popped, I didn’t even lift yet. As soon I lifted, it popped and I went straight.”
Hornaday wasn’t the only driver who experienced tire problems during the race. Busch blew a tire near the end and Colin Braun, who ran as high as second, blew a tire in the closing laps as well.
Brian Scott won the first Camping World Truck Series race of his career. Hornaday, a three-time Truck Series champion, has a 27-point lead over Mike Skinner in the Truck Series standings.
“That was a major hit,” Hornaday said Saturday night after the race. “We had a really good VFW Chevrolet Silverado. I hate this happened so early in the race. We really had a truck that was capable of contending for the win. I had no warning the tire was going to go. Things like this happen in racing, but I’m definitely going to have a major headache tomorrow. I just want to thank this team for working so hard to give me good trucks week in and week out. They really do not get enough credit for how hard they work. We will go to Texas next week and look for a good run there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment