Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Karen Stoffer sets NHRA pro stock motorcycle national record

National Hot Rod Assn. pro stock motorcycle racer Karen Stoffer set a national record during the elimination rounds at the Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla., but lost her second-round race to Shawn Gann.
Stoffer, a graduate of St. Genevieve High School in Sun Valley, turned a lap at 6.847 seconds and set the national record in her first-round race against Redell Harris.
Stoffer earned the top-qualifying spot for today’s elimination rounds by laying down a lap of 6.855 seconds on Saturday.
“I’ve gotten the No. 1 before but I never had to fight for it like that,” said Stoffer, who also was low qualifier in 2008 at Infineon Raceway. “It was nerve wracking to see Eddie Krawiec go out the pair in front of me, set low ET, and take the top spot away from us. At least we knew we had a fast enough bike to get it back; I just had to do my job.”
Stoffer predicted the national record would be broken in the elimination rounds. She clearly had the fastest bike after qualifying, but she said on Saturday other riders had a chance to break the national record too.
“I think we'll see some other teams step up and we should see the national record broken, that’s my prediction,” Stoffer said. “We’re in the batter’s box and we want to take a big swing at that record. That would be a first for me, and I would love to be able to do it here in Gainesville. I don’t know if we’re going to see these kind of conditions the rest of the year, so I think it’s going to be critical to get it done here.”
If Stoffer’s national record time holds up through eliminations, she will be awarded 20 bonus points toward the pro stock motorcycle standings.

No comments:

Post a Comment