Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

NASCAR drivers' picks for the Super Bowl

Kyle Busch, Scott Speed and Joey Logano, all drivers who grew up racing on the West Coast or won some big races in Southern California, made their predictions, along with a handful of other NASCAR drivers, for the Super Bowl.
Between Busch, Speed and Logano, the Arizona Cardinal are a 2-1 favorite. Busch and Speed like the Cardinals. Logano is pulling for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Here's what they had to say:
“I’m going to go with the Arizona Cardinals," said Busch, driver of the No. 18 Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing who grew up in Las Vegas. "There’s really no reason why, I’m just not a big fan of the Steelers. I’m going to go with 24-21 as the final score. I’m kind of friends with Kurt Warner, so I would really like to see him win. I got to spend some time with him at a Super Bowl party last year in Phoenix when M&M’s had me out there. Kurt came around the room and we talked a little bit, so it would be great to see him do well and the Cardinals win.”
Speed, the new driver of the No. 82 Toyota for Red Bull racing, was born in Manteca, near Sacramento.
“I went to my first NFL game a couple weeks ago when the Panthers played the Cardinals in the playoffs," Speed said. "The Panthers lost really badly because the Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald caught everything that got thrown in the sky! I’m pulling for the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl, for sure. Fitzgerald is the man -- he has sticky fingers. I don’t like the Steelers, not for any particular reason, I just don’t like them. I think they’re bullies! On Sunday, I’m going to have some friends over to my house to watch the game, so I hope my team can pull off the win!”

Logano, who won the 2007 Toyota All-Star Showdown at Irwindale and went from first to last place on the last lap of this year's version of the Showdown, will be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in the No. 20 Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
“I have to admit, I’m not a huge football fan -- I did follow the Redskins a little when Coach Gibbs was there," Logano said. "It’s tough when you race during most of the football season. Every year we do get family and friends together to watch it though. This year I’m pulling for Pittsburgh, they are closer to where I grew up. And anyway, I have a 50-50 chance of being right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment