Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Jimmie Johnson, Martinsville and grandfather clocks

Jimmie Johnson has five wins at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia, site of Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.
Coming off a strong run at Bristol Motor Speedway last weekend, Johnson looks like he’s back on track after a slow start. The three-time Cup Series champion almost always has a good race at Martinsville. In addition to his five wins, he has 10 top fives in 14 career Cup starts at the track.
“We’ve had fast cars and it was nice last weekend to not only talk about having a fast car, but to deliver and show what we have,” Johnson said. “I’m fired up about this weekend and looking forward to everything that this track has to offer. Hopefully we can qualify. I’m excited to be here.”
Qualifying could be rained out today at Martinsville. Not that it seems to matter for Johnson, who has won more than a third of his Cup races at the track. The winners at Martinsville get a grandfather clock as a trophy. Johnson obviously has five of them.
“I have one in my office. And then I have kind of a warehouse I put together and I have the other four displayed there. They’re just awesome,” Johnson said. “I think the size of the trophy really gets our attention. It could be a $4 plastic trophy, but if it were eight feet tall we’d all love it. Just the size and taking a big trophy home is really cool. But it is a beautiful trophy that they’ve done a great job with. I’ve built a special spot for them and have lights shining on them and they look really good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment