Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Sprint Cup drivers and their off weekend

After four straight weeks of racing, the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers and teams have a weekend off. But that doesn't mean it's all R and R.
Michael Waltrip is going to be on an episode of "My Name is Earl." Kyle Busch is going to visit the site of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Scott Speed is going to hang out with his future in-laws at the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series at the Gator Nationals in Gainesville, Fla., this weekend. Here's a look at what these drivers have to say about their free weekend.
“I am proud to be a part of this show as it always tells a great story about Earl’s need to do good things for people," Waltrip said about getting a chance be part of the "My Name is Earl" TV show. "How he gets to the resolution is absolutely hilarious. This experience is going to be a lot of fun for me. I play myself and I help Earl and his brother Randy get out of a big jam.”

Busch is going to Park City, Utah, and visiting some of the sites of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Amazing he didn't find a stock car race to enter. Still, he might find a way to sneak in a bobsled race or maybe even a super-G run in Utah.
“Me being the face of NASCAR isn’t what I’m looking for -- I’m just looking for reasons to fill up the record books and everything I guess, and put my name in it as many times as I can," Busch said. "It will still go on even when I’m not here later. We’ve proven that fact with a bunch of other drivers that have made this sport what it is today. I’m just fortunate enough to be another one of those guys to be a part of it.”
Speed's fiance, Amanda Mathis, has two family members racing in the drags in Florida. Her brother, Matt Smith, won the 2007 NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle championship and races for Don Schumacher. Her father, Rickie, is a seven-time IHRA champion and will be entered in the NHRA Pro Modified division in Gainesville.
“Amanda and I are going to Gainesville this weekend for the NHRA race," Speed said. "Amanda’s dad and brother are both racing down there so we are going to check out a different form of racing this weekend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment